Nationwide Car Insurance Review
Nationwide car insurance offers basic products provided by most auto insurers such as Liability Coverage, Comprehensive Car Insurance, Personal Injury Protection, and the likes. The company also has some unique extras such as Auto Watch, SmartRide, Farm Bureau, etc. One add-on that is visibly missing is a ride share protection policy that a number of other policy providers offer. You can take advantage of quite a lot of bundling options with Nationwide that you won’t easily find with other insurance firms.
Known for its catchy commercials, Nationwide is great for you if you have a spotless driving record as you will be treated to some of the cheapest rates available. However, if your driving history has some blemish, you might want to look elsewhere for coverage. Seniors will find this company more appealing than youngers as rates tend to get cheaper the older you get.
Nationwide Insurance may be widely known for its car insurance policies, but it also offers life, home, and pet insurance services. The Ohio based company has been providing coverage for its clients since 1925, and you can access the auto insurance policy of Nationwide insurance in all 50 states of the U.S.
On Nationwide Secure Website
Better Business Bureau
NAIC Complaint Index
J.D. Power satisfaction
At Nationwide, you will find the following coverage options for your car:
- Liability coverage – This covers the expenses in an accident where you damage a car or injure others.
- Collision coverage – Covers any damages to your vehicle if you collide with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive car insurance – A more holistic policy that covers you in different situations.
- Medical payments – Pays for medical fees resulting from an accident no matter who is at fault.
- Uninsured motorists’ coverage – Covers any bodily injuries or property damages if an uninsured/underinsured driver is at fault in a loss.
- Personal injury protection – Covers medical, rehabilitation, work loss, replacement, and even funeral costs.
- Property damage liability – Pays for any property damages caused by your car.
- Roadside and accident assistance – Refunds any expenses related to towing and other roadside assistance if your vehicle breaks down during travel.
With Nationwide, you can benefit from the following add-ons:
- SmartRide – Asides an initial signup discount, you can get up to another 40% discount for safe driving when the SmartRide device is fitted in your car.
- Vanishing deductible – Reduces your deductible by $100 for every year your accident cost doesn’t amount to $500.
- Accident forgiveness – Protects you from a rate increase after your first at-fault accident.
- Farm Bureau – If you belong to any associated farm bureau, Nationwide will offer you discounts and accommodations.
- Family plan – Any family member you include in your policy can enjoy the same discounts and benefits available to you.
- Learning center – Get access to different educational tools regarding car insurance and driving on the Nationwide website.
- On Your Side auto repair network – The auto repair centers affiliated with Nationwide provide adequate service and repairs for your vehicles.
- Member connections – Take part in Nationwide’s public events where you can share your insurance experience with other members.
- Plenti rewards program – You can enjoy discounts and cashback rewards at top retail locations across the U.S.
- Auto Watch. You can monitor your vehicle’s repair online via the Auto Watch program.
How to Get a Quote
step 1: To get a quote, simply type in your Zip Code in the space provided on the National Insurance website. You’ll be taken to a page where you’ll fill in your personal information, click on save and continue to proceed.
step 2: The next page is a continuation of your personal details (including address, marital status, email address, and more). Next, you'll fill in the details of the car you want to insure.
step 3: When you're done, click on continue or add another vehicle if you wish to cover more than one vehicle. Next, you'll be required to fill in the details of everyone who lives in your home, including non-drivers. That's all that is needed, and your quote should appear based on all the details you entered.
step 4: You can also download your quote as a PDF file. Click on continue if the price is okay for you.
How to File a Claim
In the event that a loss occurs and you need to file a claim, Nationwide has made it relatively easy for customers. You can do any of these:
- Log in to your account on the website or the app and file a claim
- Call the claims hotline of Nationwide on 1-800-421-3535
- Get in touch with your local agent
No matter the claims channel you choose, you will need to submit the following information:
- Your name and address
- Information regarding witnesses or injured individuals
- Information about the accident
- Nationwide policy number
After your claim has been officially filed, Nationwide will assign a claims professional to handle your situation.
As is with every insurance company, there are some strength areas and some areas of weakness in this Insurance operation. Here the main pros & cons you should know about Nationwide:
You can rest assured that Nationwide auto insurance can cover all of its insurance obligations as it boasts of over $2 billion in assets.
The website of this company is easily navigable, responsive, and beautiful. Customers will find that learning, filing claims, and other essential activities can easily be carried out on the website.
Nationwide’s network of auto repair shops consists of vehicle repair centers that guarantee remarkable services for your insured car.
Nationwide provides its customers with different educational and empowerment tools and resources. These tools are designed to help members drive better and get cheaper rates.
Nationwide provides customers with a fully functional app that allows you to do virtually anything related to your insurance policy on the go, such as making payments, filing claims, receiving roadside assistance, etc. The Nationwide insurance app is available to download for iOS and Android users.
A lot of insurance companies don’t check your credit rating before they offer you their services. It is mandatory for Nationwide to check your credit score before they cover your vehicle.
If you use your car for ride-sharing services, you might need to look for coverage elsewhere if you want protection in that area.
Rates are quite high for some motorists, especially drivers with a stained driving record.
Although there are many communication channels to reach the customer service, there are many customer complaints regarding inconsistent answers from some customer care representatives.
Customer Satisfaction Ratings, Financial strength
- A+ on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- NAIC: 1.51 – This score gives insight into actual policyholder sentiments toward their policy provider. The baseline complaint index is set at 1.00, so a company with a complaint ratio of 2 for example, has received two times the national market average of complaints annually.
- A+ on A.M Best: AM Best uses its rating system to judge the strength of a company’s financial holdings and assets.
- 4.08/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.
J.D Power offers the most comprehensive and independent study of customer satisfaction. The study aims to help consumers and issuers to understand user opinions and ratings of the largest car insurance companies. It covers customer satisfaction, terms, coverage options, communication, rewards and more.
J.D Power’s claim satisfaction survey rates companies on customer’s claims experiences.
Auto Insurance Discounts
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Accident-free||Have a minimum of five years of safe driving.|
|Multi-policy||Bundle a number of insurance policies with Nationwide such as home, life, and auto policies.|
|Anti-theft||Equip your car with a standard anti-theft device.|
|SmartRide||Signup and install the SmartRide device that tracks safe driving.|
|Paperless documents||Start making use of paperless documents.|
Car Insurance Alternatives
Here are our 2 choices of car insurance companies which can use as a great alternative to Nationwide:
The Liberty Mutual Insurance Auto policy is known for its affordable coverage prices and numerous discounts; this may be why it has a sixth-place largest insurer ranking. It provides several coverage options to select from, for you, for others, and your automobile. Some of the packages are standard benefits that come with the policy, while some are additions for a price. This coverage includes vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured driver, car replacement, and reimbursement. Soldiers and school students are entitled to some discounted packages, as are cars and driving methods.
This operator gives a close to maximum coverage for your car needs for a relatively low price. Compared to many other insurance companies, Liberty Mutual has a relatively standard customer care satisfaction ranking higher than its competitors.
Low prices are one of the things that made Progressive so popular among Americans that the company even encourages you to compare its rates with other insurance providers right on its website with a price comparison tool.
You will find the company provides standard car coverage options other insurers offer (like liability, personal injury protection, medical payments, etc.) and perks (like accident forgiveness, deductible reduction, etc.) when Progressive covers you. Of course, Progressive offers other insurance products like home, life, and renters through third party companies.