Progressive Car Insurance Review
Initially, Progressive focused on not-so-gentle drivers, but now motorists with a clean record can also benefit from its competitive rates. Low prices are one of the things that made Progressive so popular among Americans that the company even encourages you to compare its rates with other insurance providers right on its website with a price comparison tool.
You will find the company provides standard car coverage options other insurers offer (like liability, personal injury protection, medical payments, etc.) and perks (like accident forgiveness, deductible reduction, etc.) when Progressive covers you. Of course, Progressive offers other insurance products like home, life, and renters through third party companies.
Standing among the top five most popular auto insurance companies in the United States is Progressive Car Insurance. The company holds over 4% of the auto insurance market share in the U.S. Founded in Mayfield Village, Ohio, in 1937, Progressive has been in the insurance business for more than 80 years. You might be thinking that because the company is quite old, it might be somewhat laidback in terms of technology. Not so with Progressive – tech-savvy individuals will find the company rather appealing.
Progressive offers the basic auto insurance options you are accustomed to. These include:
- Liability: Foots the bills for you and other motorists when you cause an accident.
- Collision: Repairs your car when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive: Covers any other damage done to your car other than a collision – like theft or fire.
- Personal Injury Protection: Foots any medical bills and other related expenses due to a covered loss.
- Medical Payment: Covers yours and your passengers’ healthcare costs after an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist: Covers you in a loss caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
Progressive car insurance comes with quite a number of add-ons you can attach to your policy with them. These extras include:
- Roadside Assistance: Pays for all costs related to any roadside assistance your car receives when it breaks down mid-travel.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: Pays for your rental car bills while your covered vehicle is undergoing repairs from a loss.
- Custom parts and equipment replacement: Repairs or replaces any damaged custom car equipment like T.V.s, stereos, etc.
- Loan-Lease Payoff: Pays for the difference in your car's value at the time of the loss and what you owe on the vehicle.
- Pet Injury Coverage: Foots the vet bills if your pet is injured in a loss. This extra already comes with your collision coverage, so it's free.
- Rideshare Coverage: Protects you while driving for ridesharing companies when your ridesharing app is on.
- Deductible Savings: Reduces your deductibles by $50 every six months that you are claim-free.
- Small accident forgiveness: Protects from rate increase after the initial accident if the first claim is less than $500.
- Large accident forgiveness: Protects from rate increase in a loss if you’ve been accident-free for three years and are covered by Progressive for a minimum of five years.
How to Get a Quote
step 1: Click on the “Auto” icon on the home page, and you’ll be taken to a page where you’ll enter your ZIP code.
step 2: Click “Get a quote” after typing in your ZIP code. Afterward, enter your personal details on the next page and click on “Okay, start my quote”.
step 3: Next, tell Progressive about the vehicle(s) you want to insure – fill in all necessary details and click “Continue”. Afterward, you will enter more information regarding yourself, including your driving history, employment status, etc.
step 4: You can choose to add another driver if you're not going to be the only one driving the car(s) you want to insure. Next, you'll provide information concerning your insurance history – click “continue” after filling in the details. Your quote will be displayed afterward, and you can click on “Finish & Buy” if you're satisfied with the price.
step 5: You can also choose from three packages called Basic, Choice, and Recommended. Progressive also allows you to put in the price you want to pay if you’re not satisfied with the quote.
How to File a Claim
To file a claim, visit the homepage of Progressive and click on “claims”.
Afterward, you'll be taken to where you'll log in to your policy or call the claims phone at 1-800-776-4737.
Either way, you get connected to a claims representative from Progressive. You’ll then submit a few basic info requested by the expert. In most situations, an estimator will be assigned to evaluate the cost of the repairs needed to get your car back in shape.
Then the rep will ask you to choose between receiving payment and getting your vehicle fixed. The ball is in your court at this point. If you decide to get paid, the company will send you payment for the estimated cost of repairs. If you choose to get it repaired, the company fixes your car.
Every insurance lender has its own pros and cons – here are the things you should know about Progressive:
Progressive pays for any vet costs required to treat your pet if you’re involved in an accident. The great part is that you don’t have to pay for it as it comes included in your collision coverage.
The company offers some of the cheapest insurance savings out there. It even offers a convenient price comparison tool to compare rates on its website. You’ll enjoy one of the broadest discount coverages with Progressive.
Progressive won’t increase your rates after your first small accident that costs less than $500. You will also get forgiven if you have been claim-free for three years and a customer of Progressive for five years.
Once your ridesharing app is on, Progressive covers you when you use your car for ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft.
There are perks and deductible savings for motorists who drive safely.
Progressive stands among the top five auto insurers in the United States.
Progressive allows you to pay for insurance based on what you can afford with the Name Your Price tool.
Progressive doesn’t offer discounts for installing safety equipment in your car like an alarm or other anti-theft device.
You will find a high number of customer complaints on many online forums. In fact, on BBB, you'll find over 2600 complaints in the past three years.
You might not be treated to the best customer care service when you’re covered with Progressive.
Customer Satisfaction Ratings, Financial strength
- A+ on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- 1.12/5 on BBB customers reviews (403 reviews): BB customer reviews allow customers to post positive, negative or neutral reviews about marketplace experiences.
- 4.2/5 on Best Company customers reviews (+300 reviews).
- NAIC: 1.66 – This score gives insight into actual policyholder sentiments toward their policy provider. The baseline complaint index is set at 1.00, so a company with a complaint ratio of 2 for example, has received two times the national market average of complaints annually.
- A+ on A.M Best: AM Best uses its rating system to judge the strength of a company’s financial holdings and assets.
- 4.15/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.J.D Power offers the most comprehensive and independent study of customer satisfaction. The study aims to help consumers and issuers to understand user opinions and ratings of the largest car insurance companies. It covers customer satisfaction, terms, coverage options, communication, rewards and more. J.D Power’s claim satisfaction survey rates companies on customer’s claims experiences.
Auto Insurance Discounts
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Multi-Policy||Bundle two or more policies with Progressive|
|Multi-Car||Cover more than one car in your policy|
|Sign online||Electronically sign your documents|
|Online Quote||Start a quote and complete your purchase online|
|Continuous Insurance||Continuously maintain a car insurance coverage. It starts counting even from your previous insurer.|
|Pay in Full||Pay for your six-month insurance at once.|
|Good grades||Have a student on your policy maintaining at least a “B”|
|Away at college||Have a college student on your policy who is not more than 22 years old and lives more than 100 miles away.|
|Snapshot Program||Download the Snapshot tracker online through a mobile app or install the tracking device in your vehicle. It tracks safe driving.|
|Safe driver||Maintain an accident-free and traffic violation-free record for three straight years.|
|Homeowner||Own a home (and it doesn’t even have to be covered by Progressive)|
|Go paperless||Choose to receive your documents electronically.|
|Automatic payment||Set up automatic payments for your premium from your checking account|
|Teen driver||Add a teen driver to your policy. Must be 18 years or younger.|
Car Insurance Alternatives
Here are our 2 choices of car insurance companies which can use as a great alternative to Progressive:
GEICO provides lots of car insurance coverage options and is popular for its great customer service, as well as its great mobile app for customers. GEICO focuses on online sales to customers rather than the use of agents, which has given the company the ability to keep low rates coupled with providing similar products of other big insurers. Due to its pricing and convenience, it is known as the best option for consumers that are cost-conscious.
GEICO may come with some cons such as gap insurance absent, difficult getting a local agent, accident forgiveness not available in all states, and some coverage options missing. Overall, the company boasts to offer some of the best services such as excellent 3rd-party ratings, great mobile app, multiple Policy discounts, and new cars having mechanical breakdown insurance.
Travelers offers the staple insurance products along with some coverage add-ons. While it is true that the rates are quite high when compared to other leading policy providers, the discounts offered by the insurer make the prices competitive. If you are a safe driver, Travelers will prove to be a worthwhile insurance provider – however, if you don't have a clean motoring record, this company might not be so favorable – it is better you look for coverage elsewhere.