Progressive Car Insurance Review
The AARP Auto Insurance from The Hartford Program has been offered exclusively to AARP members since 1984. The car insurance coverage is specifically designed for those over 50.
Benefits include RecoverCare assistance if you’re injured after an accident. The coverage compensates you for any tasks such as cleaning, snow removal, lawn maintenance or dog walking that you are unable to do yourself after an accident.
Additionally, there is New Car Replacement coverage, so if your new car is totaled, you can obtain a replacement of the same make, model and specification with no deduction for depreciation.
The company has a network of over 1,600 approved repair shops. If you use one of these trusted repair services for your vehicle, you can enjoy lifetime repair assurance for as long as you own or lease the vehicle.
On AARP Secure Website
Better Business Bureau
NAIC Complaint Index
J.D. Power satisfaction
Customer Satisfaction Ratings, Financial strength
- A+ on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- 4.1/5 on Consumer Affairs customers reviews (+900 reviews): CA customer reviews allow customers to post positive, negative or neutral reviews about marketplace experiences.
- 4.8/5 on Hartford AARP customers reviews (+45,900 reviews): CA customer reviews allow customers to post positive, negative or neutral reviews about marketplace experiences.
- NAIC: 1.93 – This score gives insight into actual policyholder sentiments toward their policy provider. The baseline complaint index is set at 1.00, so a company with a complaint ratio of 2 for example, has received two times the national market average of complaints annually.
- 4.12/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.
J.D Power offers the most comprehensive and independent study of customer satisfaction. The study aims to help consumers and issuers to understand user opinions and ratings of the largest car insurance companies. It covers customer satisfaction, terms, coverage options, communication, rewards and more.
J.D Power’s claim satisfaction survey rates companies on customer’s claims experiences.
Available Auto Insurance Coverages
The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford is available for cars, trucks and a variety of other vehicles including RVs, snowmobiles, and ATVs. There are several coverages and benefits offered:
- Liability: This will help to cover the costs if you’re legally responsible for an auto accident that causes injuries or death to the driver or passengers in the other vehicle. The coverage also covers medical expenses, lost income, legal fees, funeral costs and compensation for pain and suffering.
- Collision: Collision auto insurance helps to cover the damage from another vehicle or an object. For example, if you slide into a tree during a storm, this insurance can help to cover the cost of your vehicle repairs. It can also cover damage for incidents such as a rollover accident or if someone crashes into your car while it is parked.
- Comprehensive: As its name suggests, comprehensive insurance provides comprehensive vehicle coverage. It can pay for damages related to theft, vandalism, fire, natural disasters, falling objects, glass damage, hitting an animal or civil disturbances.
- Disappearing Deductible: As long as you maintain a clean driving record, you can reduce your collision deductible. This optional feature is not available in California
- Deductible Waiver: If you’re not at fault, in most cases, there is a waiver of the deductible when you make a claim. However, this feature is not available in all states.
- Accident Forgiveness: Upon qualifying for this benefit, your first accident will be forgiven. This means no rate increase, even if it's your fault. This is unavailable in California.
How to Get a Quote
Step 1: If you’re a member of the AARP, you can obtain a quote for the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford directly from The Hartford website.
Step 2: You will need to select whether you want an auto, RV or home insurance quote and provide your zip code to start the quote process.
It is a good idea to have your vehicle registration, driver’s license and your current auto insurance documentation.
Step 3: As you might expect, you will need to provide details about your location, vehicle and driving history. The Hartford also requires that you provide your AARP membership number.
You’ll need to answer questions to determine if you have any accidents or moving violations, and how much time you spend driving. This is because the more time you spend on the road, the greater the chances of being involved in an accident.
Step 4: Your location can also have an impact on your quote, as the population density in your neighborhood can increase the chances of an accident and therefore the cost of your insurance.
If you prefer, you can phone the helpline to obtain a quote.
As with any financial product, there are both pros and cons for AARP car insurance. It is important to be aware of both sides before making a decision:
When you’re dealing with the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford, you can be assured that you’re dealing with a reputable company.
The AARP has been partnered with The Hartford for over 30 years, which highlights the company’s standards. Additionally, the company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
You can receive a discount for bundling your insurance policies including your auto and home insurance.
While The Hartford offers a variety of coverages, this is special coverage designed for AARP members. This offers tailored rates, benefits and discounts that are specifically designed for those over the age of 50.
An accident can occur at any time, so you don’t want to have to wait until regular business hours to start your claim. The AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford allows access to a 24/7 claims line, where you can receive an immediate response.
This insurance is specifically designed for those over 50, so it is not available for younger drivers.
You need to be a member of the AARP to access this auto insurance and its benefits.
Auto Insurance Discounts
You can also qualify for a number of discounts from the AARP Car Insurance Program from The Hartford. In addition to special AARP membership pricing, there are other possible discounts including:
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Online Discount||You can qualify for a discount when you apply for a free online quote. This is not available in all states|
|Bundle||If you pay your annual insurance premium in full, you could qualify for a discount.|
|Defensive Driver Course||You can qualify for a discount on your next three years of auto insurance if you complete an approved defensive driver course. You’ll need to send a copy of your certificate when you complete the course and a credit will be applied to your premium|
|Airbags||If your vehicle is equipped with more than one airbag, you can qualify for additional savings.|
|Anti Theft Devices||You can also save money on your auto insurance if your vehicle has passive or active anti theft devices.|
|Green Discount||There is the possibility of an additional discount if your vehicle is hybrid or electric|