USAA Car Insurance Review
Travelers offers the staple insurance products along with some coverage add-ons. While it is true that the rates are quite high when compared to other leading policy providers, the discounts offered by the insurer make the prices competitive. If you are a safe driver, Travelers will prove to be a worthwhile insurance provider – however, if you don't have a clean motoring record, this company might not be so favorable – it is better you look for coverage elsewhere.
From its name, Travelers Insurance was originally providing travel insurance to railroad passengers all the way back in 1864 when the company started. Travelers Insurance is also the first company to write an auto insurance policy in America. Since its inception, it has always been one of the top policy providers in the insurance industry offering car, home, renter, and other insurance lines.
On Travelers Secure Website
Better Business Bureau
NAIC Complaint Index
J.D. Power satisfaction
Expect the standard coverage provision at Travelers Insurance such as:
- Liability coverage: Pays for bodily injury, property damage, and lawyer fees as a result of an accident caused by you.
- Comprehensive coverage: Covers any damage done to your car other than a collision such as fire, storms, theft, hitting an animal, etc.
- Collision coverage: Pays for your vehicle’s damages in an accident or if your car rolls over, regardless of who is at fault.
- Personal injury protection: Covers medical bills, lost wages (in specific situations), and other damages as a result of a loss regardless of who caused the accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Foots the bills for medical bills and damages for an accident caused by a driver with inadequate or no liability coverage.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for hospital bills of you and your passengers as a result of a covered loss no matter who is responsible for the accident.
Travelers Insurance also has a decent offering when it comes to add-ons. These include:
- Loan/lease gap insurance: Pays the difference between what your car is worth and the unpaid balance of a leased/loaned car after a total loss.
- Rental coverage: Covers the cost of renting another car if your car is at the repair shop for more than 24 hours.
- Roadside assistance: Pays for fixing your car if it breaks down on the road.
- Premier new car replacement: You get a brand new car if your new vehicle of less than five years old is totaled.
- Accident forgiveness: Your rates won’t go up after an at-fault accident or minor violations.
- Ridesharing: Covers you if you drive for transportation network organizations and it is available only in Colorado and Illinois.
How to Get a Quote
step 1: This is one impressive area about the company – getting a quote is pretty straightforward. On the Travelers landing page, type in your zip code in the space provided selecting “Auto”, then click on “Start Quote”. Next, tell the company if you’re a current customer or a new one.
step 2: Now put in some information about yourself such as name, address, and date of birth. Click on “Yes, start my quote!” when you are done, and then enter your email address and phone number.
step 3: On the next page, enter details about the vehicle(s) you want to insure then click on “Continue when you are done.
step 4: Now you will be required to enter more in-depth information regarding yourself, household, and other drivers of the insured car(s).
step 5: Click on “Continue”, and your quote will appear.
How to File a Claim
Click on “Claim Center” on the navigation bar on the Travel Insurance homepage.
On the next page, click on “Report a claim”, then select either “For Individuals” or “For Businesses” depending on who you're filing the claim for. You will then be required to log in to your account, but you can also choose to continue the claims process without signing in.
Select “auto” on the next page for the type of claim you want to make. Then give some information regarding the accident and details regarding your policy with Travelers.
Enter more details like address, vehicle information, and then more details about the accident. Then a claims specialist from Travelers will get in touch with you.
You can also call Travelers directly on 800-252-4633 to file claims or use the company’s mobile app.
Here are some as well as disadvantages of Travelers auto insurance you should be aware of:
Travelers uses their discounts to attract customers to an otherwise unattractive basic policy rate. These savings help to lower the rates of coverage, and they're a good number of these deals available.
AM Best and S&P are two top rating bodies that affirm that Travelers is one company that can comfortably handle its claims. Customers can relax knowing they are in safe hands with the insurer.
When it comes to knowing what rates you might pay to get an insurance policy, Travelers doesn’t give its customers any stress. Clients will discover that getting a quote on this provider’s website is very quick and easy.
You can rest assured that you will be treated to in-person customer service via the vast network of agents available in all the covered states. The agent support is also available round the clock.
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Travelers Insurance needs to make a lot of improvements. Online reviews show that clients are somewhat dissatisfied with the customer service of this auto insurance company.
The pricing structure of this policy provider is on the high side. If you are not able to qualify for the company’s discounts, your premium prices will be quite exorbitant compared to other auto insurers.
Customer Satisfaction Ratings, Financial strength
- A+ on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- NAIC: 2.75 – This score gives insight into actual policyholder sentiments toward their policy provider. The baseline complaint index is set at 1.00, so a company with a complaint ratio of 2 for example, has received two times the national market average of complaints annually.
- A++ on A.M Best: AM Best uses its rating system to judge the strength of a company’s financial holdings and assets.
- 4.1/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.
J.D Power offers the most comprehensive and independent study of customer satisfaction. The study aims to help consumers and issuers to understand user opinions and ratings of the largest car insurance companies. It covers customer satisfaction, terms, coverage options, communication, rewards and more.
J.D Power’s claim satisfaction survey rates companies on customer’s claims experiences.
While customers are not entirely satisfied with Travelers’ services, the official complaints are also relatively more than the average number of complaints for a company of its size.
Although an area of strength for this insurer is in its financials. Customers need not worry about their claims not been met as the company has demonstrated high financial capability.
Here are the major ratings for Travelers Insurance:
|Customer satisfaction||Better Business Bureau Consumer complaint rating||A+|
|Customer satisfaction||J.D. Power customer satisfaction score||Below average|
|Financial strength||A.M. Best financial strength rating||A++ (Superior)|
|Financial strength||Standard & Poor’s (S&P)||AA|
|Customer satisfaction||NAIC complaint index||2.75|
Auto Insurance Discounts
Travelers Insurance's discounts aren't all that unique when compared to other leading car coverage providers. But the fact that they are numerous, increases drivers' chances of bagging some of these savings.
Thanks to the various discounts made available by Travelers Insurance, the price of your policy can be more affordable. Otherwise, the rates you will pay can be pretty high. Note that some of these money-savers are available only in select states.
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Insure two or more vehicles on a single policy.|
|Multi-Policy||Bundle two or more insurance policies.|
|Home ownership||Own a home or condo (even if another company insures it).|
|Safe driver||Have no accidents, violations, or significant comprehensive claims for three or five years to receive 10% and 23% savings respectively.|
|Continuous insurance||Have no gap in your coverage.|
|Hybrid/Electric vehicle||Own or lease a hybrid/electric car|
|New car||Get a less than three years old car.|
|Electronic Funds Transfer||Pay your premiums via electronic funds transfer.|
|Paid in full||Pay your premiums all at once.|
|Good Payer||Pay your policy fees consistently and timely.|
|Early quote||Pay for your policy as soon as possible after getting a quote.|
|Good student||Maintain at least a “B” average in high school or college.|
|Student away at school||Be at school at least 100 miles away from where your car is safely stored.|
|Driver training||Complete a recognized driver training course.|
|Affinity program||Be affiliated to a participating business, association, or credit union.|
|IntelliDrive program||Drive safely while being tracked by a smartphone app.|
Car Insurance Alternatives
Here are our 2 choices of car insurance companies which can use as a great alternative to Travelers:
GEICO provides lots of car insurance coverage options and is popular for its great customer service, as well as its great mobile app for customers. GEICO focuses on online sales to customers rather than the use of agents, which has given the company the ability to keep low rates coupled with providing similar products of other big insurers. Due to its pricing and convenience, it is known as the best option for consumers that are cost-conscious.
GEICO may come with some cons such as gap insurance absent, difficult getting a local agent, accident forgiveness not available in all states, and some coverage options missing. Overall, the company boasts to offer some of the best services such as excellent 3rd-party ratings, great mobile app, multiple Policy discounts, and new cars having mechanical breakdown insurance.
Direct auto insurance sets itself apart as a non-standard insurance carrier that focuses on high-risk drivers that have once had poor credit or bad driving record. It offers lots of discount opportunities for customers including safe drivers, good students, senior citizens, policy renewals, and more.
The products offered by Direct auto insurance come with broad standard features. Asides comprehensive and liability protection, it also offers options such as roadside assistance, rental reimbursement, accidental death coverage, owing reimbursement, etc.
Though the Direct auto insurance company offers lots of discounts, as well as reliable protection, the customer service complaints received has been just above average. Therefore, this insurance is best for high-risk drivers that have been struggling to get a policy at a reasonable price elsewhere.