USAA Car Insurance Review
Based in Texas but operating on a global scale is the United States Automobile Association (USAA). The award-winning insurance company was established in 1922. Though the name of the company makes it sound like it only offers car protection services, it also sells other insurance packages like homeowners, renters, and umbrella insurance.
The products and services offered by USAA are specifically tailored for those who have served or are currently serving in the US military as well as their family members. So, if you’re not affiliated with the military of the United States, you should keep looking. Veterans and those currently enlisted will be able to make the most use of the available discounts and deals.
Similar to most insurance providers, you will find the standard coverage options, including liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage. Its extras and discounts are quite impressive as well. You will be treated to low rates and commendable customer service if you’re eligible for its membership.
On USAA Secure Website
Better Business Bureau
NAIC Complaint Index
J.D. Power satisfaction
Customer Satisfaction Ratings
- A- on BBB: BBB assigns ratings from A+ (highest) to F (lowest). BB ratings are based on information in BBB files with respect to factors such as business's complaint history with BBB, type of business, time in business, transparent business practices and more.
- 1.28/5 on BBB customers reviews (565 reviews): BB customer reviews allow customers to post positive, negative or neutral reviews about marketplace experiences.
- 1.3/5 on Trustpilot ( 633 reviews): TrustScore is also an overall measurement of reviewer satisfaction, represented numerically from 1 to 5.
- A++ on A.M Best: AM Best uses its rating system to judge the strength of a company’s financial holdings and assets.
- 4.55/5 on J.D Power: We considered J.D. Power’s regional auto insurance study as well as J.D. Power’s claim satisfaction survey.
You need to be sure your insurer provides all you need from a basic car coverage option. Here are the ones offered by USAA:
- Collision Coverage: Foots the bills for hits by your car or hits on your vehicle.
- Bodily Injury Liability: Pays for treating anyone you injure with your car.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Protects from damages done to your car other than a road accident, such as fire, weather, or theft.
- Roadside Assistance: Covers the expenses of roadside repairs if your car breaks down while commuting.
- Property Damage Liability: Foots the bills when your car damages the properties of others.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Covers the medical bills of drivers and passengers in your car that are injured in a covered loss.
- Rental reimbursement: Pays for rental car expenses while your insured vehicle is undergoing repairs.
- Temporary/Non-owner Coverage: Covers vehicles that you rent or borrow while in the states. The temporary car may be used for military assignments or private purposes.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: Pays for damages and injuries when an uninsured driver causes a loss.
You will find that the following additional features can be added to an existing coverage with USAA:
- Car Replacement Assistance: Pays 20% plus the original cash value of your car if it is completely written off in an accident.
- Accident Forgiveness: Offers protection from rate increase after your first at-fault accident.
- Rideshare Protection: Covers rideshare motorists in situations where their personal car insurance or rideshare company insurance doesn’t cover them.
- Glass Coverage: Pays for windshield or window repairs.
- Gap Insurance: Pays the gap between what motorists owe and what their vehicles are worth when a total loss occurs.
- Total Loss Protection: This is for drivers that get their car loans with USAA, and it pays for the gap between what is owed and the actual cash value of the car up to $50,000.
How to Get a Quote
step 1: Visit the USAA website and click on “products” on the navigation bar.
step 2: Click on “Auto Insurance”, and you'll be taken to a new page. Select the “Get a Free Quote” tab on the auto insurance page.
step 3: You will be taken a page where you will either have to log in or join online. Click on “Join Online” if you’re not yet a member.
step 4: Give some details about yourself, like your name, email address, and phone number. Then let USAA know who has military service.
step 5: After this, you will give more details about the military service the person has.
Continue to follow the prompts until you fill in your social security number. When you fill in your SSN, you will be given a unique USAA number, and you will also be told all the insurance products and services you are eligible for based on all the information you supplied. Click on “Finish Registration”.
step 6: Next, agree to the legal terms and conditions and create a user account with USAA. Log in to your account and continue to follow the prompts. Fill in details of the vehicle, the driver(s) of the car, and other required information. Then you can get your free customized quote.
How to File a Claim
Click on “Claims” on the navigation bar of the USAA homepage. Depending on what you want to claim, select “Auto Claims”, “Roadside Assistance”, or “Auto Glass” on the next page.
If you select “Auto Claims”, let USAA know if you have a policy with them or not. Then, log in to your USAA account and follow the prompts to file your claim online. You will then be required to give USAA basic information about the incident. Here are some of the details you should have at hand to file your claim:
- Contact information of all individuals involved in the incident as well as witnesses.
- Brief description of the incident.
- Information regarding vehicular and property damages.
Here are the main pros and cons you should know when talking about USAA car insurance:
You have access to a good number of discounts for being a careful driver, such as defensive driving and safe driver discounts.
File and track your claim from anywhere and at any time via the USAA website or app.
USAA also has less than the median complaints expected for an auto insurer of its size.
USAA offers its users a lot of money-saving opportunities compared to many other insurance providers.
You can choose to pay your premiums annually, monthly, or according to your military salary schedule.
USAA generally has high customer satisfaction ratings for its auto insurance services.
This insurance company is restricted to those serving in the US military, veterans, and their families alone.
Auto Insurance Discounts
Most insurance companies try to give their customers discounts on their premiums to keep them. USAA is one insurer that offers ample savings opportunities to its eligible clients.
Note that your driving record and current location can affect the discounts available to you. Take a look at the money-savers available at USAA:
|Discount||How do you receive it?|
|Cover more than one vehicle with your insurance policy.|
|Bundling||Add homeowners or renters coverage to your auto insurance policy.|
|Defensive Driving||Finish an approved defensive driving course.|
|Driver Training||Drivers who are below 21 years and complete a basic driving training course.|
|Good Student||Maintain a CGPA that is above 3.0.|
|Family Loyalty||Switch to your personal policy after being covered by your parents’ insurance for a minimum of three years. You must be under 25 years old.|
Length of Membership
|Continue to extend your stay with USAA.|
|Military Installation||Store your vehicle on a military facility.|
|Vehicle Storage||Store your car securely for nonuse.|
|Low Mileage||Use your car less frequently. It is for drivers over 29 years old.|
|New Car||Cover a car that is less than three years old.|
|Safe Driver||Maintain a spotless driving record for three straight years.|
|Premier Driver||Maintain a spotless driving record for five straight years.|
|Automatic Payments||Schedule automatic payments for your USAA premiums.|
USAA is available across the USA, with different coverage options available in different states. The more applicable qualification is that USAA is only open to active members of the military, veterans and their families. So, it is more important that you fit into this category rather than being in a specific geographic area.
USAA offers a variety of car insurance products with some nice features such as accident forgiveness. There are also optional coverage add ons that you may not find with other insurers like rideshare insurance. You may also qualify for various discounts that can bring down the cost of your policy. So, if you are serving military personnel, a veteran or a family member, it may be worth checking out what USAA can offer you.
Like USAA, Liberty Mutual operates across all 50 states. This is an established insurer with an excellent reputation. One advantage of Liberty Mutual is its innovative features and claims process. The Liberty Mutual app is easy to use and can expedite claims filing, so you can file in less than 10 minutes. However, this level of service does come at a cost.
USAA is a more specialist insurer exclusively available to those in military service, veterans and their families. So, if you fit into this group, you are likely to find USAA more affordable, with packages that are better tailored to your needs.
Safeco offers lower cost insurance across the board with an emphasis on younger drivers or those with classic cars. This insurer offers some innovative features that can improve your level of coverage and protection. However, if you are serving in the military or a veteran, you are likely to find that younger drivers in your family can also access great deals through USAA. So, unless you do not fit into this group, you are likely to find that USAA is your best option for affordable car insurance coverage.
While Mercury Auto specializes in bare bones, low cost insurance, USAA has a different purpose. Its primary aim is to offer a variety of insurance products to military personnel, veterans and their family members.
So, which option is better will depend on your needs and preferences. If you’re serving in the military or a veteran and need tailored coverage with some nice features, USAA is likely to be the better choice. However, if you are in the market for basic car insurance coverage at a low cost, stick with Mercury Auto.
Car Insurance Alternatives
Here are our 2 choices of car insurance companies which can use as a great alternative to USAA:
The Liberty Mutual Insurance Auto policy is known for its affordable coverage prices and numerous discounts; this may be why it has a sixth-place largest insurer ranking. It provides several coverage options to select from, for you, for others, and your automobile. Some of the packages are standard benefits that come with the policy, while some are additions for a price. This coverage includes vehicle, liability, medical, uninsured driver, car replacement, and reimbursement. Soldiers and school students are entitled to some discounted packages, as are cars and driving methods.
This operator gives a close to maximum coverage for your car needs for a relatively low price. Compared to many other insurance companies, Liberty Mutual has a relatively standard customer care satisfaction ranking higher than its competitors.
21st Century Insurance is well-known to have strong financial strength and a good reputation for offering reliable and effective insurance policies With 21st Century, customers are in control; you can edit, manage, and update your policy easily and quickly. They offer different discounts, ensuring both the old and young save without having to sacrifice the quality of the coverage. Getting a quote and filing a claim is very easy, with the claims department always available to put you through.
Though the company has some drawbacks such as failing to cover all your insurance needs, lack of in-person attention, etc. the company has more benefits to suits customer needs.